Friday, February 27, 2009

Cursive - Mama, I'm Swollen (2009)


01. In the Now
02. From the Hips
03. I Couldn't Love You
04. Donkeys
05. Caveman
06. We're Going to Hell
07. Mama, I'm Satan
08. Let Me Up
09. Mama, I'm Swollen
10. What Have I Done?

Since their roughly emo beginnings, Cursive's nature has been one of progress. Never particularly adept at sticking to genre specifics, they've traversed that vast Indie underworld armed first with thrashing riffs, then glorious strings and dissonant brass. Their trajectory over their last two albums (2003's The Ugly Organ and 2006's Happy Hollow) has been one of dramatic irony and clever prose, but not without the sinking sadness of personal anguish. Cursive have all but perfected the blending of the meta and the melodrama, and come away with a sound that is surprisingly unique. Mama, I'm Swollen (the band's sixth release on Saddle Creek Records and their first release in three years) looks to continue this method, and keep Cursive ever moving forward. -Prefixmag.com

No comments: